Monday, June 13, 2011

RETREAT EXPERIENCE - Bro. Khoo Khay Lin

Dear Brothers & Sisters,

Brenda and I had attended Day Retreat once or twice over the years, but really nothing much came out of it for us then, but this time it was a different kind of experience.
Somehow, we find ourselves seriously engrossed in the practice from the moment we stepped into Klang & Coast Buddhist Centre and it was all the way until the session ends at night.

Walking Meditation (1st Day ) In the walking meditation, I was noting the 'Wobbling' of my legs each time I transfer my weight onto it and also the feeling of the sole of the feet on the floor. I was doing this over a few stretches up and down the hall and out of nowhere, I had this 'light and elated' feelings - very light and blissful; nothing else and that you do not feel that 'yourself ' is there. Funny, its a kind of feeling I had never felt before. Then I also had an emotional feeling. Both these feelings stay for a brief moment and then its back to noting and feeling again.

Sitting Meditation (1st Day ). Same kind of feeling again when I was noting the 'pulling' pain starting at a point at the top of my left thigh and it travels down to just a point above the knee. Then it dissipates and re-appear at the same point where it started. And its all over again; sometimes same place, some other time at the back of your shoulder, etc
It was during this noting that I again experienced that very kind of 'Light and Elated' feelings as in the Walking Meditation.
I was almost getting the same feeling again in the Sitting Meditation when the bell just sounded; and it was all over.

The Interview ( 1st Day ) : - I reported my experience to Sis Gin and she concurred that Yogis do experience this momentarily during their meditation practice and for those experienced preceptors, it stays for quite a while before it dissipates. She mentioned something like 'Spiritual Joy' and a Pali word for it which I do not remember.

During the Interview I also suddenly realised that this body is full of pain and discomfort everywhere and every moment - and this is really suffering. Then the on and off of the pain, and this is impermanence and that unexplained feeling which I think is non-self.

2nd Day: I was mentally and physically drained during the second day of the Retreat. However hard I tried, I could not concentrate, even as basic as noting the primary object.

However, the whole day, during the sitting meditation, I found my body shrinking and leaning at a precarious angle towards my right and me struggling to keep myself from falling over. It was like this each time during the sitting meditation.

The Venue: For a short Retreat, the Venue, Klang Coast is fine; but frankly one needs a more conducive environment for a longer one.

Logistics: Credit goes to the Organiser for the Food and Services - 5 Star rating.

Conclusion: Brenda and I had learned from this Retreat and will be more confident in the next one. We have learned to be more mindful and restrain each day and to reflect on the experience we gained from the Retreat.

We would like to thank to Committee of Ti-Ratana Centre (NBC)Klang, for organising this Retreat.

With metta
Khoo

No comments:

Post a Comment